Where have I been? Have you missed me?

Last week I returned from a cruise along the Danube. It was as magical as I had hoped it would be. The scenery was stunning and every time we stopped we visited medieval walled towns, cathedrals, castles and ancient monasteries
Our first stop was at Nuremburg. A city famous for its World War II connections, but a now restored beautiful medieval city and well worth visiting.  We followed this with a visit to Regensburg.  I had never heard of this town but wow, visit if you can.  Its walls are still complete and much of the architecture has an Italianate feel, truly beautiful.

 We went on to Passau and then to a very wet and cold Vienna.

The weather is Vienna was awful and we didn't see the city at its best as we dashed from cover to cover. However as we sheltered we were lucky enough to see some of the Lipizzaner horses coming out for a training session.

The weather improved the next day for us to enjoy the Schonbrun in all its glory.
 The most  memorable place though has to be Budapest. I knew very little about this city and I was stunned by its beauty. Both during the day and at night it is a city of outstanding wonder.  The architecture is amazing and most of it has now been renovated and cleaned back to its original state. The bridges that cross the Danube are in themselves pieces of art.


We certainly plan to return here  for a longer stay and to explore further.


 I can only post a few photos on here to give you a glimpse of these wonderful places, If you scroll down my facebook page you'll be able to see a few more. https://www.facebook.com/carol.warham. Of course, if you visit my home be prepared to sit through hundreds of photos!




16 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic, apart from the weather in Vienna. We're going to Vienna soon, and the weather forecast is not wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an amazing city. There are so many museums and cafes there you should have no trouble staying out of the rain and cold. If you can you should make the time to go to the Schonbrun also. We got the underground, it was very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. I loved Budapest too, and always said I would go back there for a longer stay. Not managed it yet though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took our breath away. I had heard it was lovely but its beauty was unexpected. Some of our party stayed on for an extra couple of days and I was quite envious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fabulous trip Carol; so glad the weather improved as you went along. Budapest looks beautiful and your photos give us a good flavour of the city. What a lovely break from the routine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Regensburg? I've never heard of it either. It looks a bit like Old Town Dubrovnik to me, and I loved that. What a fab trip! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those places you could easily miss but worth visiting. It was beautiful. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
    2. One of those places you could easily miss but worth visiting. It was beautiful. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  7. Hi Carol. Love your photos. Very Inspirational. Although, I imagine, with all that scenery you won't have got much writing done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er no, not a lot of writing! But, hundreds of photos taken. I wish I could share them all.

      Delete
    2. Er no, not a lot of writing! But, hundreds of photos taken. I wish I could share them all.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos, Carol. Wish I'd been there to see the Lipizzaners! It is one of my dreams to visit the Spanish Riding School in Vienna, although I have been lucky enough to witness a performance at the stud in Lipica.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by Heather. We didn't plan on seeing the horses and were just in the right place at the right time! Even seeing them in such awful rain was still amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was Patsy. I'd do it all again tomorrow

    ReplyDelete

Meet Paul Smith

I 'm delighted to introduce the multi-talented Paul Smith to you.  Many Yorkshire writers (born or living here) are now familiar w...