B is for Backstory

What exactly is backstory? How does the dictionary define it?

A narrative providing a history or background context, especially for a character or situation in a literary work, film, or dramatic series.

The experiences of a character or the circumstances of an event that occur before the action or narrative.

As an author it is something I'm very aware of. My first novel, Resolutions, had an event, which had happened prior to the story started, and was the reason there was a story at all.

However, I didn't just jump in and tell the reader what had happened twelve months before. This came out slowly, in the early chapters, and mainly through the dialogue of some characters e.g.

Mrs. Williams’ eyes widened and her mouth dropped open. "Well, well, so you’ve finally returned. I never thought you'd dare to show your face again here, especially at this time of year.”

Hopefully at this point the reader will want to continue reading, wondering 'What has Carly done?'

If I'd let 'the cat out of the bag' at this point, there would be little point in reading on! Also if all the backstory is given early on, as an 'info dump', this can be boring and tedious to read.

In the next chapter we have a clue as to what has happened from another character, whom Carly visits:

“Don’t expect too much from him. Seeing you will come as quite a shock. He’s spent the last twelve months working hard to put you out of his mind and out of his life. He may not want you back. I don’t think you’ll find that Yeardon and New Yeardon are the same places you used to know.”

Have I got you intrigued? I hope so! Would you like to know what Carly has done that has caused so much anguish? Let Steve, her ex- fiancé, tell you:

“New Year’s Eve would have been our first wedding anniversary. It seemed a good time to try to say sorry.” She moved towards him. “I’m really sorry for what I did.”
Steve’s arms widened to grip the sides of the car as he stared down at the engine. “Sorry? Sorry for leaving me standing at the altar like an idiot? Sorry for disappearing without a word? What exactly are you sorry for?”

It's far better to keep the reader guessing and wanting to learn more.

Later on we learn that the hero, Ben, also has a secret in his past. However if you want to know what that is, you'll have to read the book!




6 comments:

  1. Some good examples there of how to tease the reader by introducing the back story bit by bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. BEST WAY TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK REUNITE TOGETHER CONTACT LORD ZULU DIRECTLY ON WHATSAPP +19097814612
      How to get your ex back fast! I was hurt and heart broken when a very big problem occurred in my marriage seven months ago, between me and my husband . so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again, and that he didn't love me anymore. So he packed out of the house and made me and my children pass through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back, after much begging, but all to no avail. and he confirmed that he had made his decision, and he never wanted to see me again. So one evening, as I was coming back from work, I met an old friend of mine who asked my husband .So I explained everything to him, so he told me that the only way I can get my husband back is to visit a priest, because it has really worked for him too. So I never believed in spells, but I had no other choice, than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the Email address of the priest whom he visited.  So the next morning, I sent a letter to the address he gave to me, and the priest assured me that I will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed, so he spoke with me, and told me everything that I needed to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past 7 months, gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back. So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day, with lots of love and joy, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day, our relationship was now stronger than how it was before, by the help of a priest. So, I will advise you out there if you have any problem contact LORD ZULU, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you.. or WhatsApp him on +1(909)7814612 
      call:  +   1(213) 538-2469
      EMAIL: Allsupremepowersolutionhome@gmail.com
      WEBSITE; allsupremepowersolutionhom.website2.me

      Delete
  3. I think the temptation is to add too much back story, and too do it too soon. Just like when we meet real people we don't learn everything about them immediately – some things take years to discover and some things are never revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE SPELL TO GET YOUR EX  BACK FAST AND TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE NOW CONTACT DR.DAVID ON  WHATSAPP  DIRECTLY +2347040654140 .

     My name is MICHEAL RACHEL. When I read a testimony online on how DR DAVID the great and most powerful spell caster helped to bring back Divorce husband or wife EX LOVER. I was wondering how this can be true, Because many have failed me in the past without any result from them. I just let the post pass by and move on to the forum. To my notice under again, Some person posted and said tested and trusted spell caster. After reading through the mail it was this same man DR DAVID she was talking about. So I have no other option than to really check up how he works. I was totally devastated when my beloved husband left me. It was like my entire world vanishing into sorrow and pain. I know it sounds weird but out of all the spell casters I contacted, he was the only one to give me that impression of being so true and trustful. More than his words, He brought my husband back and he made all my wishes come true. He is now loyal, pays attention to me, he offers me flowers every Sunday, and we often go out at the cinema and the restaurant. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family are living together happily again.. I will be forever thankful for turning my life from hell to heaven! I believe those who need help should get to him for help. May God continue to use you to save broken relationships. To every one with marital problem, divorce issues, lost lover or any relationship related issues, you can contact DR DAVID wonders the ultimate spell caster contact him on his Email Address @ awesomespelltemple@gmail.com   or directly on his WhatsApp +2347040654140 ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Contact Dr. Peter at (concealed information) if you want to get your Husband, Wife, Boyfriend and Girlfriend back now and regain your happiness. my heart was broken. I never believed I would get back with my husband anymore until Dr Peter brought my husband back for me in 24hours Time with a powerful spell. He is reliable for positive results and ???? guarantee with no side effects of work contact him today if you have any relationship problem contact him on Whatsapp +2348162247974 or email drpeterspellcaster21@gmail.com or Facebook page https://web.facebook.com/drpeterspellcaster22 website: https://drpeterspellcasters.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Meet Paul Smith

I 'm delighted to introduce the multi-talented Paul Smith to you.  Many Yorkshire writers (born or living here) are now familiar w...