An Unusual Day

A few days before New Year, I went to a football match.  It is worth mentioning as this was my first match in nearly 43 years of married life.  My husband asked me to join him on a trip to Wolverhampton to watch his beloved Wolverhampton Wanderers play. (They won!)
As, over the years he has wandered around many castles and cathedrals with me, I could hardly refuse. Now I am the least sporty person you are likely to ever find.  Will I go again, to another football match?  Maybe in another 43 years!
However he did make the day special, by suggesting a trip to the National Memorial Arboretum near Derby. It is a stunning and moving place and well worth a visit. It's much larger than I imagined with over 300 memorials of all shapes and sizes.  There are also thousands of trees (obviously!) planted in memory of people and events. One particular moving plaque read 'To the unknown but kind lady who donated her liver'. The vast wall with blank stones brought it home as to how many more young men and women are we destined to lose in future wars?  A terrifying thought.


Amongst all these memorials was the Basra wall, which was taken down piece by piece when the army left and rebuilt here.  The Somme Memorial with thousands of coloured crosses, presumably painted by local children.The Falklands Memorial, The Shot at Dawn Memorial and...I could go on naming them for a long time. If you do get chance to visit it, you should.

t

10 comments:

  1. You certainly packed a lot into one day. How rewarding. And I'm pleased for your husband that his team won. I hope you enjoy many more castles, cathedrals, etc together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie. The castles and cathedrals are more likely than the football matches, although it wasn't as bad or as boring as I thought it would be...but don't tell him that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on surviving the football match! The only match I ever went to was Preston v Blackpool about 60 years ago, with Tom Finney and Stanley Matthews both playing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha You sound as interested in football as me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great tale Carol. And your kindness in going to the football match with dear hubby paid off as it would .. I'm a church and cathedral visitor myself. My husband likes that too. I've only been to football games that my sons were playing in - does that count. Haven't been now for years since a son said I was to stop coming because I embarrassed him by shouting too loudly on the sideline.

    gramswisewords.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that was our job as parents...to embarrass the children...especially as they got older! :D Thanks for coming by Marian. Wishing you every blessing for the coming year.

      Delete
  6. Brilliant! Football matches are great when your team wins ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should know! And yes the long journey home was much better with a happy chappy driving. :)

      Delete
  7. Thought you might secretly enjoy the match Carol, but nice to combine it with something 'up your street' too,

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out to be a lovely day. The match was okay, we sat in a family area.

    ReplyDelete

Meet Paul Smith

I 'm delighted to introduce the multi-talented Paul Smith to you.  Many Yorkshire writers (born or living here) are now familiar w...